Cross-breeding has been around for a very long time. In fact, many of the breeds we see and love today are a result of incessant cross- and in-breeding.
But, when we discuss mating, one question often arises – can large dogs mate with small dogs? If it’s possible, are there things we must consider before encouraging it?
In this article, we shall talk about this in detail.
Can a Big Dog Get a Small Dog Pregnant?
The short answer is yes. Male dogs, big and small, will succumb to their natural instincts and try to mate with female dogs regardless of their size. But if the male dog is extremely large and the female is a toy breed, we strongly discourage it. She won’t be able to handle the weight and during penetration, she may suffer a lot of pain. Her vagina will rip open due to weight and pressure.
If the size discrepancy is not too large, though, mating can happen safely and without considerable pain.
Things to remember
If you are encouraging the process of mating, we strongly recommend that you keep the following in mind:
- Supervise the whole process and break it off the moment you see stress from either party.
- Ensure that the male dog doesn’t start running while still locked. The female will be dragged along and she will go through excruciating pain.
- If impregnation is successful, remember that she may need C-section. In many cases, the fetuses are too large to go through the birthing canal. If you try natural birthing, the female will mostly die trying to give birth. We are sure this is not what you want. You must monitor her closely and ensure that a vet’s on the standby. She cannot risk going into spontaneous labor because birthing by herself will not be feasible.
- The whole process of a large male dog mating with a small female dog is safe only when supervised. You must speak to the vet before even thinking about it so that you know if the size difference is too dangerous.
- Risks of this type of mating include genital injuries and potential death of the female. So be careful and go through with this only if you are sure.
- Make sensible decisions right from the start because dogs cannot decide for themselves. A male will try to mount a female. It should be your discretion that determines whether it is the right choice.
Just because it is possible for a big dog to get a small dog pregnant does not mean you should go through with it. The complications may be too many to take lightly. The female may go through too much pain unnecessarily. Always take expert opinion and act accordingly.
If you have any more doubts about breeding, feel free to get in touch with us. We are always here to help you and your dogs.